Thursday, May 13, 2010

sticking the course



Talent - I don't know what that is. It's will.
You dream a dream and then you build it.
- Philippe Petit

I read that quote this morning, and it got me thinking...

What is talent... What is "who we are?"

Everyone has their journey, their process,
whether you consider yourself an artist or not.
Whatever you make, or do,
there is an ART to it.

You have a thought,
You begin to build on that thought,
and you find a way to work it out.



With play, with practice,



with patience, and criticism,
both from yourself and from others,
and pride...



Is it important for it to be called a "talent? "
Or is it just being you?

By developing your talent, or your dreams,
you developing who you are...



Last night I played in my scrap bag swap partner, Bonnie's, materials.

I worked quickly, sometimes with a thought, sometimes not...
I let the colors guide me, and felt free getting back to making a quilt
the way
I LOVE TO MAKE QUILTS...

Free from caring if others will like it...

I work with a thought or a feeling, and build on it.

And for today, that makes me Hysterically happy.


I'd like to encourage your creativity today.

Find the delight your process brings.


Happy Sewing.




11 comments:

Em said...

Victoria, I love this post! so fun how you write as the quilt projects form! As always, thank you for sharing your creativity and encouragement! I hope someday we meet!!!!

True Blue Nana said...

What a great post! I agree wholeheartedly, enjoy the process and work to please yourself.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Very thought provoking write up today. I think I try to work to please myself but I think sometimes we push that aside and let pleasing others take over.

Jan said...

I love this post! A very freeing, liberating way of thinking. I like to think that I make quilts my way, but am often crushed when something is not well received. Every year one of my resolutions is to be truer to myself. Thanks for emphasizing that!

Mrs Moen said...

I too enjoy the creative process and not worrying about anything else, even when nothing works and I'm so frustrated that I want to throw everything away. Somehow everything magically works out in the end.

The Scrappy Bee said...

Yes, indeed. Rock on. BB

shellysquilts said...

This is fantastic! I luv it! And I know you are have more fun than the law should allow with it! Happy sewing, my friend!

calicodaisy said...

True! True! I'm so happy you posted the opening phrase. Having the talent is one thing, but one must work at it to make it bloom.
-- michele

Robin (rsislandcrafts) said...

That is one of the reasons I love to visit your blog. You let your creativity take whatever form it needs to and without making any excuses for it. I've never been one to follow all the "rules". I much rather just let the creative process lead me to where it needs to go.

Fiesta said...

Victoria, it looks great on your bed. Mine is hanging on the wall in my formal living room and I have to tell you that it is one of my favorite quilts. Thanks for the inspiration.

jmbmommy said...

two thumbs on that quote... just what
I needed to read today. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Post a Comment