Monday, June 7, 2010

rag rug/hat...

A while back, like say, a year or so, I wanted to make a rag rug...
I cut some strips, braided them, then stitched them together....
Unfortunately, my attempt produced something of a funny shape....
My husband wanted to know if I was making a hat ....
Yes, a hat....
Does this look like a hat? well, OK, I see his point...
(Shela, you will appreciate this!)

Last night, I had the urge to break into a string scrap bag I bought in MN
last week and make a second attempt,
except I planned on crocheting the whole thing this time...

SO far, It looks good! It does seem to be curling up a bit.. any suggestions?
So I don't end up with a second stylish rag hat? I'm not so brilliant with a hook...
I can do a single chain that's about it...
the scraps are all Kaffe... yum, the colors are so great..

OK, so you've now had a good chuckle... ;-)
glad to brighten your day!
This little gift is on it's way to Sujata.
Fingers crossed, I hope she likes it!

What adventure will you take on today?

SPECIAL NOTE:
We are reaching 50 quilts for BASICS,
if you donate,

we will be drawing names for
2 - $50 gift certificates to PINK CHALK FABRICS!!

and more prizes to come. see the site for more info.

Bumble Beans Basics Quilt Gather

11 comments:

Trudi said...

My adventure today included baking birthday cake! And showing my quilting group lots of variations of disappearing nine patch! Fun! Love the hat! Hubby has a point!

patchworksails said...

It looks great as a hat LOL !!! Or you could dip it in a paper mache solution and shape it around a bowl perhaps ??

Vesuviusmama said...

The "hat" looks great on you! I say wear your orginial with pride! Can't help you with the crocheted second attempt - I don't know how to crochet.

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

thank You Cherie! I get it! thanks! Will give it another shot...

Robin (rsislandcrafts) said...

My first braided rug looked like your "hat" too. I haven't tried to crochet a rug yet. I do want to try making a toothbrush rug though:

http://www.ragrugcafe.com/toothbrush-rugs-complete-video-instructions-part-1-beginners

Looks like it might be easier.

Lizzie said...

You probably need to 'increase' every 8/10 stitches, so work two stitches into the same stitch. Have fun, love the colours.
Lizzie
xxx

belinda said...

Yes...I'm with Cherie...every so often add in a extra stitch... I crochet a round rag rug one time and that is what I did to keep it flat!!!
But hey....it was a cool looking hat too!!

Barb in Mi said...

Wohooo, almost 50 quilts! How does that make you feel: so many helping hands that just needed to be activated! Good luck with your hook endeavours...

Terri Stegmiller said...

I agree with the earlier comment about needing to increase your stitches. Stitch two single crochet in the same loop every few stitches.

QuiltSwissy said...

I had the very same thing happen with a piece I was crocheting from scraps. I gave up.

But I did thing about adding a brim.

glen

Rachel said...

Ha. Love your "hat"!

I'm no good at crocheting at all. Yours looks just fine to me - but what do I know?

Such a cute little quilt. Sujata will love it! (Not that I know Sujata, but I would love it so I will just assume anybody else would too.)

Post a Comment