Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A NY minute


I had high hopes of getting loads done today, sewing. BUT, I sat at my computer ALL DAY, and I still am, merging computers, files images, music, etc etc etc blah blah blah...
SO for today you get some New york moments...

Yesterday we had some errands to do, so we went to a place called Chelsea Market about 20 blocks away from me.. It has many great bakeries, food places, meat locker, fish market, flowers books store, etc... Fun place to go when it's COLD out side...
They had the entire place decorated with recycled plastic...by
environmental artist Tom Deininger and Creative Voltage of Los Angeles
The Christmas tree was made from CD's & Dvd's and at the base of the tree was VCR TAPE, the wreath was also a mixture of the two...

And the light globe fixtures were made from red green and clear plastic cups and bottles... And they all looked AMAZING! the best use of plastic I've seen!
here is a link about it. it was very cool...


We then walked home, and decided we wanted to see the Highline now that the season has changed...
The highline was a railroad track above ground that ran down the west side of Manhattan for shipping... then deserted, it sat for years unattended.. No wit's been made into a above ground park... Brilliant use of dead NYC space...
See more about it here...


And there you have a New York minute.... ;-) Enjoy your day!

8 comments:

calicodaisy said...

Oh, I so want to go to NYC and eat all around town and visit all the little shops I have read about over the years! I'm Michele and am in the new One Block Over quilt bee with you. I'm pretty excited, as it's my first one to participate in, and I'm in such good company! I took the first month so I could get my choice of block distress over with and then relax and follow everyone else's lead through the year. I might have to deliver your block personally, though, and take a ride around NYC. -- michele

belinda said...

..Hey...thanks for the NYC moments

blushing rose said...

A lovely place to visit ... glad to see they are making use of all that 'dead' space up there. Have you been to the ABC Carpet Company ... what a fabulous store.

Have a lovely eve.
TTFN ~Marydon

blushing rose said...

Forgot to mention to join me at our new blog now ~
blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com
TYSM. TTFN ~Marydon

shellysquilts said...

Cool stuff!

beth said...

OOOH! I love New York! Thanks for sharing it with us!

jovaliquilts said...

The high line is great -- walked it twice last summer! Found out afterwards that the chief designer is from the school of landscape architecture in my town. I think that's why it has such a prairie grass look.

Andrea, the little collector said...

I love the billboard! What a NY day.

And ain't the Highline great?

Post a Comment