Thursday, October 22, 2009

Waves and other things


A few things...
the second Waverunner top is complete. I just need to sew the blocks together.
I need to write the second part about layout... so I will wait til next week to do that.
I need a new name for this one... any ideas? "BROKEN...."Something...
I haven't figured out what...


Here is some short (goofy) videos I put together this a.m.
( It's hard to sew and hold a camera! )
to help show the process of the waverunner quilt.
watch them in order...







****
Megan & Susan cracked me up as they both emailed me saying,
YOU HAVEN'T POSTED IN TWO DAYS you must really be sick!
I know I have a blogging problem, I do like to post as much as I do make quilts.. But actually my DARN computer is acting up and I've been putting off purchasing a new bigger computer...I mean, really, why spend more money than absolutely necessary these days...
I tried posting yesterday and I had run out of upload space on my picasa which links Blogger! (Didn't know that!) so after you upgrade it, you have to wait 24 hours before it's available to use... then when I tried this am, I couldn't get my videos to load... (computer is getting slow) and well there you have it.. I learned something new... And I may be visiting MAC sooner than later...

Thanks for checking in on me though! hey you never know! ;-)
my sniffles are better too, I didn't take any claritin in Houston, and that messed me up...I've been living off claritin for three weeks, as is everyone in my house...

Anywho! Do you suppose I have something to show you?

Of course I do!

The SIMPLY REDS are done, except for labels, then they are outta here!
I needed some natural light and it's GORGEOUS out today, so I went up on the roof of our building to take these... Man, it was HOT up there...
Cool view though, No?


*********
******
My mother sent me a box today that included her Applique blocks for the Sis boom POW! quilt.
You'll have to go over there to see them. Click here, to see how those quilts are coming along!

BUT! Besides the blocks, THIS was in the box! A crazy pillow my grandma made! I am finally making a connection to how much she has influenced me as a quilter...
I adore the pillow. Love. it.



16 comments:

Mary said...

I gotta tell ya I love these wavy quilts. No scant 1/4" seams, no points to match, no un-understandable directions to follow. Thanks for the tutorial.

Kelly O. said...

what about calling your quilt "Raspberry Ripple" or "Sunset" or "Sailor's Delight"

(you know "Red sky at night, sailor's delight")

or "broken palette" "broken crayons" ...okay I'm fresh out of ideas!

Andi said...

Simply red quilts are simply stunning!!
Andi :-)

Carla said...

It was very liberating to just put the fabric down and cut. Not having to worry about the ruler and all.
Love the way the Red quilts came out and I like the contrasting backing fabric. Makes them POP! What a great pillow and it goes with everything too!

Chase said...

This is a great project! I love the colors you picked! I watched three videos. Did you sew and take videos at the same time? Your grandma's quilt pillow is gorgeous. My grandma left a sewing machine behind, but she never taught me how to sewing.

I love your red quilts! You have put them together already! You are speedy!

p.s. Do you like your sewing machine? Any good recommendation? I need to get a new sewing machine. The computerized sewing machine doesn't allow me to do free-motion quilting.

Thanks~

belinda said...

Ou..Ou....OK....I am trying mine tonight....live and learn...first off...I cut my strips tooooo wavy....ok, fixed that....then I think I cut them tooo thin...so, I went ahead and sewed them together as they were and I will save those squares to cut into smaller pieces to fill in here and there and I think they will be good....other than that....I LIKE this process!
LOVE your REDS too!!! As for a name...let's see....Broken Waves..
...Broken Wonks...Broken Ripples...
??????
Thanks for the videos...it's nice to see the process in action...

Kucki68 said...

Broken light waves?

Kath said...

I love Granmas cushion. How lovely to have something hand-made by your ancestor. Does it have a label? It already has history and it's lovely to think someone in the future will know who made it. Kath x

annie2006 said...

wow that pillow is ace :) no wonder you adore it

Cat said...

Love that pillow!

Every thing is gorgeous! I love RED! The red quilts look great on the roof top...

I must make a quilt this winter! I just love drawing pictures with the Juki... but I need to make a quilt!!!

Have a good weekend.

shellysquilts said...

Luv the videos. I'm impressed you made them with your camera around your neck. Your nails look good!
Your Grandma's pillow is great! I can see her influence in your work!!! Well done on everything, my friend! Enjoy your weekend.

Doris said...

That pillow totally looks like something you made!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Oh my, between the Reds, the pillow that grandma made and the waves - this post is incredible!! Thanks for all the fun for my eyes!

ankastreasures.wordpress.com said...

I love the pillow your grandmother made. What a treasure! The colors are so vibrant and the stitching looks really interesting . . .

Quiltmoose - Dagmar said...

You are definitely your grandmother's descendant LOL The pillow is gorgeous!!!

I'd LOVE to participate in this project but don't have any time right now... perhaps in a few weeks...??

Selvage Quilter said...

Your tutorial was so much fun! I loved hanging out in your quilting studio watching you put the wavy quilt top together. Thanks!

That is a wonderful pillow from your grandmother.

Post a Comment