Monday, October 19, 2009

home...achoo!


oh, lordy.
I am home!
I had such a great time in Houston...
A truly eye opening experience...

I got to meet Shelly and her hubby,
(what a good sport to drive his wife 16 hours to see quilts!)
of prairiemoon quilts.
What a sweetheart. so fun to put faces to bloggers!
She had a quilt in one of the exhibitions... you can see it on the link above...



CLICK HERE: Pictures of the Houston Int'l Quilt Festival

Click on the above link to take you to ALL 10 pages of my images from the show.

Below are some of my personal favorites.


I kept coming back to this quilt. Although it was not a winner, I thought it was the most creative lovely piece of work at the show. Very different from every thing else. It was made by a Japanese woman, and I have learned they do some pretty amazing stuff....
Roberta Horton did the above quilt. It's right up my alley and has the most lovely fabrics...
Winner of Miniatures, 10" square block! click to enlarge.... it will be bigger than it was in real life!
The photo below is probably life size, if you don't click on it... amazing points!!!
She had to use to magnifiers over her machine to stitch this,
and the craziest thin thread to do this...

There were many quilts with people on it, and I thought most looked flat, and the face were never as good as the rest. then we saw this little guy... Stunning.
And of course, some flying geese, because I love flying geese and the color and layout is fabulous...by Janet Steadman... really LOVE her stuff...

Machine Quilting anyone?

This quilt had the dog quilted out of it... all that lacy look was machine quilted...
Overall it might not have been the best machine quilting but the idea,
and effort gets a A++ from me!




The big winner of them all was:
Best in Show: Caryl Bryer Fallert
You can click the link to see more about her. Color and composition was amazing, machine quilting fantastic, but I really am not crazy about figures in quilts... But hey! I'm not a $10,000 quilt show winner, so what do I know!... Good for her, Congrats! It was indeed a beautiful quilt.


Wave Runner Quilt along.


I also brought home a COLD form Houston...
So I am think I am going to need an extra day to get organized...

So by Wednesday, I will have up the first post for the quilt along.
I'm thinking, Wednesdays will be the WaveRunner post day.... so be sure ladies, if you quilting along, check the blog on Wednesdays for up dates, info and questions answered...

I purchased a bunch of fabrics for my dresden plate quilt so I will be working on that...along with the waverunner.

I also purchased a bunch of great fabrics from an artist named
Terrie Hancock Manget.

I'm a huge Virgin mary fan. Although not religious... Look a this tryptic she did.
Love it. Knocks my socks right off.... see gallery of her work here.
And I am itching to start that project as well...

So I need to unpack, clean up and get to work...
Hope you all had a great weekend.

17 comments:

shellysquilts said...

We indeed had a great time! Your pictures look good. Lot's of inspiration! Looking at them makes me smile! I can't wait to see what you do with the fabric you bought. Hope you feel better soon. Happy sewing, my friend!

badlandsquilts said...

Love all the quilts that you took photos of to share.

It's interesting the quilt that you said was made by a Japanese lady, reminds me sooo much of Norwegian rosemaling? Lovely quilt.

annie2006 said...

some gorgeous quilts there :)

belinda said...

Oh yes....good post...good show and tell!!

Four O'Clock Quilt Company said...

Thanks for the quilt show! I really missed being there this year.

Mego said...

It sounds like you had a FABULOUS time. NOW get yourself WELL!!! I love Terrie Manget too! I am hoarding fabric of hers that I picked up years ago. At the time I thought 5 yards of this and 5 yards of that was too much (LOL) but I use it all the time. Great pure colors and you can't beat her for fun!

amandajean said...

glad you had fun! hope you feel better soon!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Feel better soon.
I love seeing everyone's photos from the event, such different inspirations. And thanks for teh Janet Steadman link. I love it!

Shelly said...

Great pictures. I didn't take ANY! I just walked around with my mouth hanging open, and didn't even get out my camera!

Corn said...

Welcome home! all I can say is WOW, what craftmanship on all of the quilts. The mini quilt with those intricate points and the Japanese lady's quilt and the dancer.....I cannot even begin to imagine making something like that. People are so imaginative and inspiring. Thanks for sharing :)

Barb said...

Welcome Home!
Bless you for taking pictures (no pun intended). I'm saving them for the my morning coffee.
Feel better!
Barb

Alexis said...

Looks like it was a great show! Thanks for the Terrie Mangat link- I have a panel of her La Virgen fabric, but I have been saving it for something really special... Maybe your project will inspire me :-) I hope you feel better soon!

Janet said...

You sound like you've come back inspired, how could you not? Loved the photos, thanks for sharing them. Get better quick.

jovaliquilts said...

Glad you had such a great time! I love looking at the quilts. That flying geese one is really terrific.

Mego said...

Not to put PRESSURE on you BUT I looked at all the quilts and by the time we finish the Waverunner Tutorial we should all be able to make #74...RIGHT??? lol!

Andrea, the little collector said...

Ov, V, what a fun time y'all must have had. (Hee, hee...Houston.) I'm going to have to sit down with a nice cup of cocoa one of these days and just stroll through all your pics. Wahoo! Can't wait for the virtual tour of the show.

Friday, I thought about you and Shelly at the show while I pulled out my machine and got to work doing free-motion quilting on the sample I pieced with the two of you and my long Halloween runner. Hoping to finish the quilting on the runner today. Better get to it!

Fabric Fanatic said...

sweetie, thanks for all the lovely pics....it was glorious! I love the ones that I know you loved too, and can almost hear those wheels turning.
now, who are all the ladies in the first picture? are they buddies from nyc, or blog buddies, or new pals? nosy rosy needs to know. lol

I went to see Where The Wild Things Are this afternoon with a couple of gal pals...it was really good. I'm not sure it's a kids movie though. The wonderful little twig village that the monster "Carol" (played wonderfully by James Gandolfini) built was so creative and special.

Post a Comment